The drugs and cosmetics act some rules are made for the sale of the drug only on the issuance of licence. State government appoint the licensing authority for specific area to issue licences for sale, stock or exhibit for sale o distribution of drugs.
The applicant has to make a application in the prescribed form (based on the categories of the drugs) for grant of licence. The granted licence should be renewed within six months of expiry.
Application for the grant or renewal of licence to sell, stock or exhibit for sale or distribution of drugs shall be made:
A) For drugs other than those specified in schedule X – Form-19
B) Restricted licence (Applicants of a town with population of 5000 or less than 5000 where services of qualified person not required (itinerant vendors)Form-19A
C) Whole sale or distribution of drugs from a motor vehicle Form-19AA
D) Schedule X Drugs Form -19C
Form of licences:
The following forms are required for the application of drugs sale or distribution.
1. Retail sale: Three forms are available based on the category of drugs.
· For the drugs other than those specified in the schedule C,C1 and X Form-20
· For drugs those specified schedule C and C1 Form- 21
· For schedule X drugs –Form 20F
2. Restricted licence:
· For drugs other than those specified in schedule C,C1 and X- Form 20-A
· For drugs specified in schedule C and C1- Form 21-A valid only for drugs specified in the license
3. Whole sale licence:
· For the drugs other than those specified in the schedule C,C1 and X Form-20 B
· For drugs those specified schedule C and C1 Form- 21 B
· For schedule X drugs –Form 20 G
4. Sale of drugs by wholesale or distribute drugs from a motor vehicle:
· For the drugs other than those specified in the schedule C,C1 and X Form-20 BB
· For drugs those specified schedule C and C1 Form- 21 BB
This licence not required for the public carrier or hired vehicles used for the distribution of drugs.
If more than one place separate applications should be made for grant of separate licence shall be issued for the each place. This is not applicable for the itinerant vendors (who have conduct business in specified place a jurisdiction of the licensing authority)
Duration of licence
Original or renewed licence unless suspended or cancelled valid up to 31st December of the year following the year in which it is granted or renewed.